Is the meaning of Youth Pledge still relevant?

Jakarta, 24 October 2012 – Ipsos, the home of researchers, a market research company, announces the finding of the Asiabus survey conducted at the beginning of the month on 1,044 Indonesians, aged 15-64, in cities such as Jakarta, Bandung, Surabaya and Medan, after 84 years have passed since the proclamation of the Youth Pledge on 28 October 1928, which also signified the birth of the Indonesian nation.   The commemoration of Youth Pledge day is aimed at reinforcing the camaraderie spirit of youths thereby strengthening the unity of the nation.  How do Indonesians feel about this at the present time?
 
The survey disclosed that only 20 percent of respondents, who are Indonesian citizens aged 15 to 64 years, although understanding the historical moment of the Youth Pledge declaration, can fully and correctly respond to when the Youth Pledge was made.
 
“As the young generation, part of the Indonesian nation, we would like to measure just how far the spirit to commemorate Youth Pledge day is still felt and appreciated by the public.  Despite of the respondents who are not entirely knowledgeable about the Youth Pledge declaration, all of the them, from various ethnic groups - from the fathers’ side such as Javanese, Sundanese, Betawi, Batak, Madurese, Minangkabau, Malay, Makassar and Chinese, are proud to be Indonesian,” stressed Iwan Murty, Managing Director of Ipsos in Indonesia.
 
From the total 1,044 respondents, 49% understand about the Youth Pledge declaration.  From the number, 18% were able to recite the Youth Pledge declaration in complete and sequence form.  28% were able to recite the Youth Pledge declaration in complete form but not in sequence.  While 42% were only able to recite half of the Youth Pledge declaration and the remaining 11% wrongly recited the Youth Pledge declaration.
 
In terms of age, the younger the respondents, the higher their understanding of the Youth Pledge declaration.  The youngest age group, 15 – 24 years, is the group most knowledgeable about the Youth Pledge declaration (59%); followed by the 25 – 39 age category (50%); 40 – 54 age category (46%) and the oldest age category of 55 – 64 years (37%).
 
In terms of educational background, university graduates are in the group most knowledgeable about the Youth Pledge declaration (63%); following by high school graduates (55%); junior high school graduates (46%); and finally, those with elementary school education or lower (31%).
 
In responding to the question: do you commemorate Youth Pledge Day, only 14% said they do.  From the number, 68% commemorate Youth Pledge Day as this is a compulsory event at the office or school.   13% commemorate Youth Pledge Day by visiting historical places. 13% spent the day doing activities in the neighborhood; while the remaining 6% watched Youth Pledge Day on television.
 
Subsequently, in response to the most important basic question of whether one is proud to be an Indonesian, the response was heartening, more than 80% of total respondents say they are proud to be Indonesian and 61% use the Indonesian language for their daily communications.  However, in Surabaya and Bandung, more than 80% more often use their respective local language, while in Jakarta and Medan, more than 90% use the Indonesian language.  As many as 84% of total respondents support and use local products at every chance they get.  The remaining 16% say they may use locally made products.
 
In terms of regional culture, as many as 53% of total respondents say they see a cultural performance between three months to one year ago.  27% say they have never seen a cultural performance and 20% say they forgot.
 
Conclusions can be made from the survey that the older one gets, the more cultural performances they watch, this is true of the 55 – 64 age category, the ones who most frequently watch cultural performances less than three months at a time, as opposed to the younger age group.
 
Still on regional culture, 87% of total respondents say they do not know how to dance or play traditional musical instruments.  10% say they master one of the cultural skills and 3% only slightly master the cultural skills.
 
About Ipsos Asiabus
 
Ipsos Asiabus is a regular survey conducted on consumers in major cities in Indonesia through random sampling, in which each person is regarded as having the same opportunity to become a respondent through direct interviews, sample distribution following general population patterns, criteria of male and female respondents from 15 – 64 years old in the social economic classifications of A, B, C, D, E and producing a report and syndication study designed specifically for the needs of companies, advertising, PR agencies and the government.
 
 

After 84 years have passed since the proclamation of the Youth Pledge on 28 October 1928, which also signified the birth of the Indonesian nation. The commemoration of Youth Pledge day is aimed at reinforcing the camaraderie spirit of youths thereby strengthening the unity of the nation.  How do Indonesians feel about this at the present time?