Looking at how Indonesians celebrated Lebaran this year

Jakarta, 13 September 2012 – Ipsos, the home of researchers, a market research company, announces the findings of the recent Asiabus survey of 1,040 people aged 15-64, in major cities such as Jakarta, Bandung, Surabaya and Medan.

An interesting finding from the survey is that more than half (58%) of Indonesians living in the four major cities, actually celebrated Lebaran in the city where they live and the remainder went on an exodus to home towns (42%).The highest number of people planning their hometown exodus are those living in Surabaya (62%), followed by Bandung (38%), Jakarta (36%) and Medan (24%). In terms of SEC (Social Economy Classification), the highest number of people going on hometown exodus, are those from the E classification (52%).85% of people who stay in cities or those who go on the exodus to their home towns, spend most of their time visiting relatives and friends, while 70% receive guests at their home.This is followed by 53% staying at home, 41% going to recreational places and 36% going to malls.

Let us look at the budget which people have prepared to celebrate Lebaran. The majority spend up to Rp 2 million to celebrate the occasion. On a per city basis, 52% of people living in Jakarta spend up to Rp 2 million while 19% spend under one million Rupiah, the remainder spend over Rp 2 million. 34% of people living in Surabaya spend up to Rp 2 million and 36% under one million Rupiah. In Medan, 45% of the people spend up to Rp 2 million and 29% under one million Rupiah. While 21% of people in Bandung spend up to Rp 2 million and 63% spend under one million Rupiah.

The Lebaran allowance and salary are the main sources of funds to celebrate Lebaran. Other than that, the sources of funding include business profits, savings, family donations and bonus while the least came from investments. What’s of interest is that most of the people living in Bandung depend on business profits as the main source of funding to celebrate Lebaran, after the Lebaran allowance, compared to those living in other cities.

So what do people spending their money on? The survey disclosed that most (92%) spending their money on food and beverage; while 77% answered they use it to buy new clothes, electronic items and gifts; 72% of them said use it for relatives and 67% for donations. They also answered that Relaxation (58%), traveling (50%), donations (35%) and only a few said accommodation and savings are the things they spent their money for.

So what about non-Muslims in the four big cities, how did they spend the Lebaran holidays? As many as 73% said that they spent leisure time at home, 56% said they visited relatives and friends, 38% took to the malls, 31% received families and friends in their homes and 19% visited recreational sites.

An interesting finding from the survey is that more than half (58%) of Indonesians living in the four major cities, actually celebrated Lebaran in the city where they live and the remainder went on an exodus to home towns (42%)